Participating in PFR will help you to understand your child's behaviours by looking at the feelings that sit behind them, recognise how to support your child's social and emotional health and acknowledge your own needs. It is designed to increase your confidence as a caregiver and strengthen the attachment between you and your child.
How does Promoting First Relationships work?
Promoting First Relationships is a free program and is run by Kids First as part of the Northern Healing and Recovery Program.
Common things PFR can help parents/caregivers with:
• Building a positive attachment relationship with your child.
• Understanding your child’s difficult behaviors, and looking at the feelings and needs behind these behaviors.
• Understanding how to support your child’s social and emotional health.
• Discussing strategies for coping with difficult times as a parent.
• Understanding ways you can help your child through emotionally difficult experiences.
• Understanding your own social and emotional needs.
"It (PFR) has been a fantastic support especially in my confidence as a parent. Before the program I doubted myself a lot thinking I must be doing something wrong or could be doing something better. You helped me see all the little things I was doing well and reflect on what I also needed. You always made me feel comfortable to share and I felt you very quickly picked up on our needs and went out of your way to accommodate these. You explained everything so well and were inclusive in how we worked together. I never felt judged and the way you delivered feedback was encouraging and motivating. A huge thank you, you have made a huge difference in my life and hopefully a flow on effect to my child’s life.”
Interested in finding out more?
For more information about Promoting First Relationships please complete the below form and one of our lovely Intake and Engagement team members will be in touch with you. Alternatively if you would like to speak to someone on the phone please call us on
(03) 9450 0900.